Getting a Kelly Carwash

Where EG's starting to wish she had moved to warmer climes when she had the chance..

Monday, May 02, 2005

Hey Jude

Did you know that if you google “jamiroquai stevie wonder maroon 5” you get 49,400 hits? In fact, Andy and I spent a good hour tonight trying to figure out if Jamiroquai and the lead singer for Maroon 5 are actually the same guy (as it’s pretty obvious neither one of them are Stevie Wonder). We also watched 3 Backstreet Boys videos and came to the conclusion that they actually can sing, though their choice of songs is pretty poor. But they definitely can’t sing as well as N’Sync. One listen to N’Sync’s a cappella tribute to The Beegees and you’ll be as convinced as we are that despite the whole boy band thing they really are very talented. Yes, I realized how stupid that sounds.

I’m currently (and by currently I mean “for the last 10 years”) on a Dave Matthews Band kick. I’ve never had one band give me more goosebump moments than DMB. I still can’t listen to Bartender, Say Goodbye, or Crash without stopping everything I’m doing and just concentrating on the music. I can’t really figure out why they speak to me like that, though. Yes, the drummer, Carter Beauford, ranks right up there with the drummers from Tool and Rush, and Dave can play a mean guitar, but individually they really aren’t all that great. (Amazingly, there are actually “Top 10 Drummers of All Time” lists out there without Neal Peart on them… Are these people deaf???) Their songs, though, are both familiar and surprising all at the same time. And each song has so many layers to it. You could listen to one of their songs 20 times and hear something new every time. Their lyrics are always great, too. I’ve joked that you could easily make a musical out of their songs. You know, kind of like the Abba or Billy Joel musicals. Only when I imagine a DMB musical, I’m always the female lead and I always get to make out with the male lead, who rotates between Dave himself and, more recently, Matthew McConaughey. Have you seen him in Sahara? Oy, oy, oy. There’s a little sumpin for everyone in that there movie…

So, I was on my way to work this morning when the song “Hey Jude” came on the radio. It instantly brought me back to Paul McCartney’s fabulous performance of that song during the half-time show of last season’s super bowl. It was such an awesome feeling when I started singing along to the “Nah nah nah” part and it dawned on me that at that moment I was probably singing with millions of people all over the world. For those few seconds all of us were connected by that melody. That’s one of the reasons why I love music so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home