Getting a Kelly Carwash

Where EG's starting to wish she had moved to warmer climes when she had the chance..

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Land of Swimming Pools and Cowboys

I finally found a few minutes to write… At the rate I’m going, I’ll be lucky to post something once a month. Oh well. I’ll try not to let this die, but instead just post when I can. I probably shouldn’t even be writing now as I’m supposed to take my accounting midterm tomorrow, but if I have to look at one more way to compute the cost of good sold, or spend one more second trying to tell the difference between the retail method and the gross margin method, I swear I’m going to scream. One of these days I’m going to give up and write “No one does the crap by hand anymore!!!!!!!” on a sheet of paper and just turn that in for my assignment. I knew one of the dangers of going back to school after working for several years was that I wouldn’t have the patience for all of the things I’d have to do that I know won’t make a darn bit of difference in real life. So it’s not like I didn’t see this time wasting bull shit coming a mile away.

Many, many things have happened since I last wrote. My life is boring no more. Grandma Kelly, the dog whom this blog is named after, turned 17 years old (see pics below). Sally, the wonderful woman who owns Kelly and who’s responsible for the breedings that produced the dudes, had a birthday party for her complete with games, cake (chicken liver for dogs, chocolate for humans), and professional group portraits (picture #7 is of Ruger). The party should have been hugely fun, but I was caught between crying and throwing up the entire 3 hours we were there. I swore Remy was going to go after another dog and we’d be forever banned from Sally’s house. I’m rarely that stressed out, and was pretty much Queen Bitch the entire time because of it. After everyone else left, we tried setting Remy up to go after another dog so we could correct him when he got aggressive. Sally tried 5 dogs and, after being yelled at by me all day, he didn’t take the bait with any of them. Not only that, but we freaked him out so much that he slept almost continuously for the next 2 days.

A week after Kelly’s party, I was leaving for a conference in Phoenix. About 2 days before I left, though, I noticed that the place for which I currently work had an opening for a similar position down there. (Sorry to those of you who are finding this out just now… I had a feeling things wouldn’t work out, so I didn’t really tell anyone.) I had applied for this same position a few years ago and was offered the job, but the circumstances just weren’t right. And, Andy had never been to Arizona. It’s such a different climate that at that time we didn’t feel comfortable agreeing to move down there without him seeing what it was like. This time around, I didn’t think it was fair to even apply for the job without Andy knowing what living down there would entail, so at the last minute I got him a ticket with frequent flier miles so he could be down there with Mom and me for a few days.

Unfortunately, we arrived at the very beginning of a big-time heat wave. They had record highs the whole time we were there. Every day temps got up to somewhere between 105 and 115 degrees, and didn’t cool down until well after midnight. It was actually quite comfortable in the shade, but I came back without a tan because it was too hot in the sun to even lay out.

During my classes my mom and my aunt drove Andy around so he got to see most of the town, even if it was just from the back seat of a car. And, to make a long story short, Andy didn’t get any “warm fuzzies” from Phoenix. Besides, for some reason I felt like it was way too big of a city this time. Needless to say, we decided I shouldn’t apply for the job.

It was definitely a fun trip, though. The highlight, for me anyway, was going to game 2 of the NBA Western Conference finals. The Suns played the Spurs, and it was a great game, coming down to the last shot. Phoenix lost (and didn’t play all that well, either) but the atmosphere was incredible. And I got to see the current league MVP (Steve Nash) and a former MVP (Tim Duncan) play. The game alone was worth the trip. I was disappointed that I didn’t see any celebs, though. I guess Eva Longoria was there, but I’m not even sure I’d recognize her if I did see her. Also, Brandy is supposedly dating one of the Suns, but she must have had another engagement as she wasn’t in her usual seat. Seeing the Red Panda Acrobat during the half time show will have to be enough of a celebrity sighting for me.

Anyway, I guess I'd better get back to credits, debits, and generally accepted accounting principles. (Until about 12 hours after I first posted this, that last bit said "commonly accepted general accounting pricinples". I'm so going to fail this class.) Wish me luck on my test tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home